Friday, January 16, 2009

Dealing With My Negativity

So earlier this week over lunch, a coworker who also is a good friend of mine informed me that Im to negative. She said I should try to be more positive, and I may be surprised with the results. I said really, you think I am? And than another friend also said the same thing to me, in a more casual way though. And than I thought to myself...I know I can show some negativity, doesnt everyone have a little bit? But I didnt realize I was coming off so strong, with no positivity at all! It was a little embarrassing actually. And hard to hear!

So I asked Grant his thoughts, and he said...well you have been complaining a lot, so it could come off like that. And when I think about the last few weeks, and months....I thought hes absolutely right. I know Im going through a weird period with depression enter and leaving at random times....but maybe Im drawing into the depression a little more than I should. That whole dark feeling comes, and I let myself get swallowed into it, resulting in complaining, negativity, etc. Ive turned into that girl....the one that complains till shes blue in the face, but doesnt change anything to make her situation any better. Just loves to play the woe is me role. Yep, that is me. Talk about a slap in the face!

There are a few people in my life right now that are pretty negative, and I probably feed into that a bit as well. I like these people though, so its not like I dont want to be friends with them. Its just who they are, and I accept that. Take the good with the bad. I will admit I do sometimes think when listening to them complain...it must take so much energy to be so negative. Little did I know someone is thinking that about me! So now that its been brought to my attention, Im going to be more conscious of this. Not let every little thing get to me, and look at the glass half full instead of half empty!

So I found this article that seems pretty helpful, and thought I would share :) 2 out of 5 steps completed, so I guess Im on my way.

The first step in any sort of change is recognizing that you have a problem. If you realize that you are a negative person, congratulations! You have made the most important step in changing yourself into a more positive, likeable, and happy person.

Here are some suggestions for positive change: Ask a person whose judgment you trust if you are a negative person. Ask them to answer truthfully. If the answer is "yes," ask them to be specific. Ask them for an example of times when you have been hypercritical, using negative talk about others or just "moaning and groaning." Look for any apparent patterns in the topics you are negative about.

You may not like what you hear, but remember that this feedback is precious. It gives you the basic building blocks to begin your own person transformation.

Practice catching yourself each time you become aware of being negative. This takes time; remember you are trying to break an entrenched habit that you may have had for many years. Learning to recognize negativity, then stop it, gives you control over your thought patterns and ultimately your life.

Remind yourself how your negativity damages important relationships in your life. Nobody wants to be around someone who is guaranteed to bring them down, anytime, anywhere. Don't let yourself be that person. By becoming aware of your negative practices and slowly changing yourself to become more positive and optimistic, you will feel happier within yourself, experience less stress, and attract new friends who actually enjoy your company.

Look for the good in everything. There are few incidences in life that do not have a positive flip-side, no matter how dire the circumstances. Make it a habit to look for that silver lining. You don't have to be a Pollyanna. It is okay to acknowledge negative things when they occur, but try also to make a conscientious effort to see the positive. Your friends will love you for your new sunny character!

1 comment:

Sabs said...

One way of adopting a positive attitude is to look at thing you have in your life that you are grateful for. Do this whenever you feel negative and you will see an immediate change in attitude.