Sunday, November 2, 2008

Me? A Runner?


Ive always felt like a runner wannabe. I always wondered...will I ever truly feel like a runner? At what point? Do I have to cross off a list of races I completed before I actually classify myself as a runner? These questions go through my mind over and over. Often when Im running.

My running career started around this time last year. I decided that I wanted to start running to stay in shape, because I felt I was in the best shape that I have been in a long time. And I didnt want to lose that! So I started the couch to 5k program. As I finished off that training program, I ran my first 5k, a Turkey Trot race. I continued to run after that, and my next race I ran was on NYE, a 4 miler race. And I didnt stop there. I decided I would run a half marathon next. With that decision I started a half marathon training plan. Halfway through that plan I ran a 10k. And I finished off my running season in May by running the Flying Pig Half Marathon. All the times I made on all these races were better than I expected. I was pretty amazed at myself, and what I had accomplished.

But even after running all those races I still felt like I was never truly a runner. I was just a wannabe runner. Just getting through each race. I dont know if its just some self esteem issue or what. But I felt like outsider in a way...a running wannabe.

So after that half marathon I took a running break. The summer was coming and I wasnt planning on training through the hot, humid summer. My dad also passed away. So I took a break from a lot of things. Than I was training for the Breast Cancer 3 Day, so running definitely took a back burner. Now that I have time I have started to run again. And Im back at square one, well almost. I do have a base of about 3 miles that I can run..which feels great. But I still feel like Im really out of shape, and that my lungs might explode when Im running. I haven't been as consistent as I should be, so I know that may be why it feels so difficult everytime I get out there. It definitely doesn't feel like riding a bike again. Much, much harder.

But I do know is what it feels like to run a half marathon. I do know that with consistent training it may not get easier per say, but will feel more comfortable. And I can get back to the place I was before with practicing some consistency. As far as not feeling like a runner? Who can truly identify what a runner feels like? Im sure it feels different to everybody. It all depends on your goals. We all run our own run. Our own race. We determine what our running career will be. And what feels like success to each of us.

A great thing to always remember is....every runner , whatever level, was a non-runner at some point.

So even though I guess my running status from time to time, okay so all the time, I can proudly yes I am a runner. Amazing what can happen when you replace the negative talk with a little bit of positivity.

No comments: