Sunday, October 26, 2008

Road Trip Wedding

Grant and I have been toying around with an idea Grant had a few weeks ago on a road trip wedding. When we realized that we cant really afford to go to Hawaii for our wedding and honeymoon, and still have the at home reception we want to have...we knew we would have to start researching other options. Two of our favorite spots in the U.S were Sanibel Island, FL. Or someplace in Arizona. We have been wanting to take a road trip ever since we bought our mini cooper last year. It would be so much fun to wrap the wedding into a trip like that. Since its just going to be Grant and I at the wedding,this sounds like the perfect plan.

When you think of destination wedding, and eloping...you image something tropical, relaxing, breathtaking, etc. Like Mexico, Jamaica, Virgin Islands, etc. But this trip sounds just as fun to me and I think could fullfill those elements to us. We are easily pleased. We arent like most people, we always like to be different and out of the norm. :) And while driving across the U.S. may not sound relaxing....I disagree. Motoring across the U.S. in the mini cooper sounds pretty relaxing to me :)

We can map out places we want to stop in and see along the way. Its like planning a few mini trips into one big trip. We will probably be able to find cheaper places than if we were to stay in some tropical place for 5-7 nights. When we were researching places outside the U.S. as in condos, hotels, etc they were pretty pricey. Double sometimes triple of what hotels will cost us on this trip. Although Mexico does have its benefits with their all inclusive packages. LOL But on a road trip I defintely think you would find better prices for your buck - for budget couples like us ;) Maybe not as five star, but sometimes its not about that. And there is always the thought of staying at a few B&B or cottage type places. Which gives a romantic, cozy feeling to me.

The wedding would be on Sanibel Island. And of course we would do a few romantic days on a resort there, and enjoy the beautiful island and all it has to offer. And than head off for more exploring within the state before we head back home. So I started some research today on Sanibel. Before I knew it 5 hours has gone by! There is so much info out there. So added to our list is a possible road trip wedding. Im sure our minds will change again before the end of the year. We decided that we will make a definite decision in the beginning of 2009 on what we are going to do. We will put a deposit down at that time. So we still have more time to research. We definitely want to try to do an Oct or Nov 2009 wedding.

This idea is really sticking with me though. Its something Ive always wanted to do, and would just be an awesome way to start off our new life together. Although laying on the beach in Jamaica or Mexico doesnt sound to bad either. :p

One problem we will have, both of us are so indecisive! I know whatever we decide it will still be the trip of a lifetime :)

1 comment:

Samba said...

Hi Melissa. I saw your request for information/suggestions on Sanibel Island on The Best Destination Wedding Forum. But the site would not let me respond to you from there although I did the dutiful thing and registered.

At any rate, I have a blog on Blogger on Sanibel Island, Florida as my husband and I own vacation rental properties on the Island.

I hope you go to my blog and/or site and come back with questions.

I'd be happy to anwer them!

All the best, Sylvia