Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pink Ladies

So I browse meetup.com from time to time to see if there are groups maybe I could join and meet new friends. Since my dad passed, and with all the changes Ive gone through in the last few months it seems my friends have become more sporadic. Im not sure if its me sheltering myself from them, or its them not knowing how to be there for me. All in all, it just sucks. I have heard that when someone loses a parent, that a lot of friends exit, and new friends enter. Sometimes people cant handle that you've changed and want the old you back. Or simply just dont know how to be there for you, so you need to tell them. (But Im not sure how I need them to be there, at least not right now.) New friends never knew the old you, so can be there for you in ways maybe your old friends cant. Not that Im looking for friends to help me grieve so to speak. But really just missing the connection of friends. I would love to just go out and laugh. Have fun again. Not be so sad. With new friends that sometimes can be easier since they dont know everything that has happened, ya know?

So Ive decided to make a more conscious effort to find new friends. Not lock myself up in the house with my depression. And hopefully one day Ill be able to reconnect with those old friends, once I get more into the healing process and better understand how hard it was for them or that they didnt know what to do.

So I joined one group but only made it to one get together where one other person showed up. I did fall upon this other group called the Pink Ladies. Now first I love anything Pink. And second I LOVE GREASE! So of course I joined. Its a group of woman from late 20's to early 40's. This group is so active. There are meetups going on all month. From 2-4 a week sometimes. And the range of activities is fun. Stuff I like, and stuff Id love to try. When I joined it was right after the Boston 3 Day, so I didnt get a chance to get out to anything. And than I was fundraising and training for Michigan, so I didnt get out to anything in September either. But now that the 3 day season is over, I can start meeting up with these ladies. So this past Friday I went to my first meetup. Dinner, Movie, and Drinks.

I had a blast! These woman were so welcoming. They were really easy to talk to, and I felt like I had known them for years. We went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner, than went and saw the movie, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Great movie by the way :) Than grabbed a few drinks at Buffalo Wild Wings afterwards. Im glad that I decided to step out of my comfort zone and go. Im really looking forward to getting to know these woman better. This was just the type of group I was looking for. :)

No comments: