Monday, October 13, 2008

Phew! Im Out Of Shape!

So Ive decided to start running again. Just a short 5 months ago I ran in my first ever half marathon. It was absolutely amazing, and I felt like I was in the best shape of my life! The summer came, and I didnt want to run in the heat, and going through the things I was going through..I decided to take a break from running. Now that Im starting again, I wish I didnt take a break. LOL

So last weekend I got out there and ran 3.75 miles with no problem. It must have been a whim. Because today I felt like I was going to die! Since I was able to push out 3.75 miles last weekend, I decided that I will run the 10k on Thanksgiving vs the 5k. Why not. I like the longer distance. Ive ran in 5ks, 4 milers, 10ks, and half marathon. And 10k was always a fun distance to me. It will make me strive a little bit harder than if I was training for a 5k. So Ive set up a schedule from now till Thanksgiving, so I have 7 weeks to get my ass in shape!

Running has always been the best cardio for me. I see the results I want, and I feel great when Im done. Even with how hard it can feel while Im doing it. I also love being outside and active. Your among other active people. And you get that special nod, wave, or smile when you pass each other. Its pretty damn cool. And it was a beautiful evening. The sky was a pretty blue, the clouds were fluffy, and the sun was just setting. It was beautiful out. I love outdoors :)

So today was Day 1 of the training program. I ran 2.5 miles, and it took me about 35 minutes with cool down. A little on the slow side, but I was moving the whole time. Which was my goal. I was huffing and puffing like Puff the Magic Dragon. Seriously I thought I was going to keel over. Than I thought about when I was finishing that half marathon this past May, and kept right on moving. It will get easier, with time and consistency. And I have to admit I was pretty happy that I have a 2.5 mile base. I thought Id be right back at square one. With running/walking rotated every 60/90 seconds!

So a 10k in 7 weeks. I can so do this.

No comments: