Monday, February 2, 2009

Hatha Yoga

I started going to a yoga class on Monday nights. Its held at a nearby church, and the cost is just a donation. It is Hatha Yoga, and is a 90 minute class. Now Ive dabbled in a few Yoga classes here and there, but never stuck with it. I always felt like I wasn't "getting it". But lately Ive really been wanting to get into Yoga, and some sort of mediation. I think it would help my stress levels, and Yoga is just so good overall for your entire health. I hear so many runners talk about how they do Yoga. The flexibility to the joints and spine, improving balance, helps prevent injuries by strengthening muscles, improving concentration and endurance, etc. So many positive things! I can only imagine how those things would make my running so much more enjoyable!

Hatha Yoga concentrates on physical health and mental well being. It has slow movements, more like stretch movements combined with breathing techniques, and mediation. The setting is very calm, serene, and safe. All the lights are out, and a few night lights, and candles are on. And of course there is very calm instrumental music playing. With the slow movements, you really do focus on stretching out all the muscles. When I get done stretching one muscle, it feels good. Literally. Like wow that was so tight! Its weird how I can feel the strengthening with the stretching. The strengthening is already showing some good progress, my body aren't shaking as much as they use to. I think this style is good to start off, since the movements are slow I really am learning the proper breathing technique to. Where in other classes I took I was focusing on how to do the moves so not really paying attention on the breathing. Learning how and when to breath deep, and shallow really makes a difference on the poses!

Through most of the class there is mediation. The instructor recommends keeping your eyes shut through the entire class. Focusing on mediating. Finding your center, focusing on yourself, letting all the days worries go away, etc. Its really interesting. Closing my eyes can be tricky on some standing up moves, but if you focus on your breathing, and being in that moment, it really isn't as hard. Its a good way to mediate for someone like me, who wants to mediate, but never would take the time. When I'm mediating on these poses, I'm noticing where the stretch feels, and how its feeling. Its like I'm just in that moment, and feels good to be focusing on my body, and just me. For the last 15-20 minutes of the class we focus solely on mediating without poses or stretches. We are laying down and let our entire body relax. The instructor makes the music louder, and has you focus on that. Listening to the different instruments and vibrations. My mind truly relaxes. Something I thought it never could do. (I'm one of those people whose mind doesn't shut off when I try to go to sleep) The music takes your mind away! After 10 minutes or so he has us feel our body, part by part, from the toes all the way to the head. The feeling of each body part is pretty intense actually. We than awake each body party, and roll on each side, and eventually roll up into our comfortable position with one last deep breath in and out.

I really, really like this class. When I'm done with class I just have this awesome stress free, relaxed, I have no worries in the world feeling. My body feels loose, but strengthened at the same time. I definitely will be keeping Yoga as part of my workout routine. Not only am I getting a great workout, I'm also taking 90 minutes to just focus on me. Which is something I think everyone should do daily!

No comments: