Friday, March 6, 2009

WOO HOO! LA Fitness is officially open!

Finally, after many weeks of anticipation the LA Fitness gym by my house opened up. Ive been looking forward to this mainly because I need something to kick my ass in gear. Figures that it opens when my monthly friend is here. But I stuffed my bloated self in some workout clothes and headed on up there. I was expecting a bit more than what I saw, but dont get me wrong its still a very nice facility. I think maybe because its such a large space and there wasnt a ton of people in there.

The weight machines and free weights are all on the main floor. And than there is this second floor that is like half a floor. I think that disappointed me. I thought it was going to be a full second floor. All the cardio was up there. Treadmills, bikes, ellipticals. The treadmills are actually right up to the railing. So when your running on them anyone walking in or downstairs looks up at you as your dying from exhaustion. :p As well as you can look down and see the people on the weights. Not sure how I like that set up just yet....

Than I did see the swimming pool right to the left of the entrance. The front windows from the parking lot look in on the pool area. Basketball court is kinda tucked away in the back, but the spinning class room, aerobic room, and racquet ball courts are all along the sides, midway on the main floor. Those are all open to, as in you can see in the rooms very clearly. All window walls. I guess noticing all the openness has my self consciousness creeping up. Im think to myself, that sucks for us out of shape folks. Not that anyone even cares what I look like when Im working out. :p

Very nice new machines. I hopped around on a few different cardio machines. The treadmill fitness test said I did POOR! lol But it felt good to be running again :) It will be nice to get back into a routine. The classes wont start for another few weeks. They didnt have a schedule yet. Im curious on the classes, and think Ill definitely try out a few. They aren't additional cost so thats nice. And there is such a variety! The hours are really nice. I can squeeze in before work, after work, or late night to.

I felt so bleh when I was in there today. Bloated, overweight, out of shape. So it will be nice to start to feel some progress, and healthy again.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Congrats on the new gym membership! Don't let yourself get too self conscious. Just ignore everyone; that's what I do :) I go in there, put on my headphones, turn up my iPod, and do my own thing!

I read that you ran a half marathon. I'm training for a 5K that'll be in January, and then the Disney half marathon in January 2011. I'm sooo excited! Any pointers to get me started with my training?

Melissa said...

I did run my first half marathon, last May. Best experience ever! I would love to run Disney one year. You get a mickey medal, how cool is that?! I started off with the Couch Potato to 5k Training plan, in September 07. And ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving. Than a 4 miler on NYE, a 10k in April, and than a half in May. I highly recommend the couch to 5k, its a great beginners plan. Im excited to follow your blog on your running journey!

Mary said...

Congrats on joining! SOunds like a great facility and the picture looks real nice too :>

Peaches said...

Your LA Fitness looks and sounds just like mine!!!