Monday, March 9, 2009

Healthy Reflections - HYC Week 10

So I always get these Healthy Reflection emails from Sparkpeople.com. They really get me thinking, and I received one in my inbox that I thought was perfect to blog about this week.

Who is standing in your way?

Something we were withholding made us weak, until we found it was ourselves. - Robert Frost

Imagine someone regularly tying small weights around your ankles as you try to climb a mountain. Doesn't sound fair, does it? But that's exactly what you can do to yourself, a little bit at a time, if you don't watch out. When you think of who and what is standing in the way of your dreams, it's easy to forget your own responsibility. Even the best of us can be guilty of unknowingly hurting our own progress. Procrastination, lateness, being disorganized, pessimism, not being honest with yourself, severe self-criticism, downplaying achievements, focusing only on weaknesses while ignoring strengths, keeping goals a secret, demanding perfection, giving up after a small setback--these are all ways you can make it tough to be (and do) your best. Smart systems, the right attitude, and a promise to keep going no matter what will make a world of difference.


Wow, seriously sparkpeople should let me know when they are hanging out inside my head! Its like they were calling me out. Every single thing they named seems to be me to a tee lately. And actually just before I decided to blog tonight the one thing on the top of the list is procrastination! Ive known about this paper Ive had to write since classes started in January, and the rough draft was postponed 2 weeks, yet I still havent started it. Actually Ive tried but just sit and stare at a blank screen. So I blogged instead. Procrastination at its best.

Lately Im so unorganized that it causes so much chaos for me. But I created it, no one else. I complain about people holding me up from being late, but than Im late myself. But I hardly will ever admit that to myself. The energy it takes to find the negativity in everything has definitely been wearing me down. And giving up seems to be my mantra lately. Since when did I give in so easily? Im a fighter, and love to feel like one! So who has taking over my body? I have news for them....I want the Melissa I know back.

Im in charge. Im ready to act like Im in charge. No more of this choosing who to blame. Im the only one to blame. I shall take responsibility. And for goodness sakes, no more negativity. No more focusing on my weakness. No more being so unsure of myself. Because where is it getting me? Absolutely nowhere! I have recommitted myself this week to my healthy lifestyle. To eating better, treating my body better, and being nicer to myself. If I hit a roadblock, so what! It makes the journey so much more worth it in the end. I owe it to myself to keep moving forward.


Smart systems, the right attitude, and a promise to keep going no matter what will make a world of difference. Sounds like great things to work on this week. First Ill start by getting to bed at a decent hour. So that will be my cue to say goodnight ;)

3 comments:

Kat said...

This post is so inspirational! It makes a lot of sense to me, the idea that I am the only one holding myself back. I whine and complain and make up excuses, but I tend not to take responsibility for my own actions. And this post was like a big wake-up call! Thanks for sharing. :)

BTW, what is the Healthy You Challenge?

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Great post! Your attitude is awesome and will get you back on track in no time!
Path to Health

Melissa said...

Thank you! I feel so refreshed after that post!

Kat, you should check out the Healthy You Challenge. Its a blog community that supports each other on their journey to being a healthier person. It runs all year long and you can join any time. Check it out at this link...

http://healthyyou.scalejunkie.com/