Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cheesy Chick & Salsa Skillet


So Im really trying to make more of an effort to be a little more domestic. With that means cooking. I have never been much of a cook. When my mom remarried, we went out all the time. So we never had that mother/daughter experience of learning how to cook. So when I moved out I dabbled here and there, but mostly went out. And Grant is a good cook, so he would just cook.

Cooking at home means healthier eating, which is something I desperately need. Also means, saving money, another thing I need to be doing since we are saving up for a wedding. So I fell upon a recipe that caught my eye. I have to admit cooking is kind of relaxing, and rewarding at the same time. That is until my turnout doesnt taste to good, than thats another whole story. lol

Prep Time:
10 min
Total Time:
30 min
Makes:
4 servings, 2 cups each

What You Need:
2 cups multigrain penne pasta, uncooked
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1-1/4 cups TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 large green pepper, cut into short thin strips
1 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Reduced Fat Four Cheese Mexican Style Cheese

Make It:
COOK pasta as directed on package.

MEANWHILE, heat large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 2 min. Stir in salsa, corn and peppers. Bring to boil. Simmer on medium-low heat 10 min. or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.

DRAIN pasta. Add to chicken mixture; mix lightly. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 1 min. or until cheese is melted.

Nutrition Info per serving:

Calories 450
Total Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 850 mg
Sugars 5 g
Protein 42 g
Vitamin A 15 %DV
Vitamin C 35 %DV
Calcium 45 %DV
Iron 15 %DV

The outcome, it was okay to me. It felt like to many noodles, to less sauce. But it was tasty enough to take for lunch tomorrow. Grant said it was delicious and went for seconds. So two thumbs up :)

No comments: