Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why Is Change So Hard?

I have been working on change. Its a work in progress, and while Id like to think that Im moving forward...Im beginning to think Im just standing in place.

I know what I want. I know what I need to do to get there. Im even doing some of those things. But than I go back to old habits, and sabotage the change. So much like this picture I bounce between old and new, old and new, old and new. Its like Im in a game of ping pong. So why am I doing this? Why am I resisting? What am I scared of?

These are questions that have been racing through my mind for the last week. Change looks so promising. So pleasant. So where I want to be. But taking that leap feels like jumping into on coming traffic. I look at the old me and like the safety. Its comforting, and what I know. But at the same time its everything I dont want to be. It has this dark cloud surrounding it. I can see the pain and negativity smothering me. Why would I want to stay like that? Theres a part of me that is scared of taking the steps to a changed me and leaving all that "safeness" behind. Can I survive that in between period? What if its lonely? What if I feel like I made the wrong choices? What if I fail at change?

Isnt this crazy? Obviously Im unhappy with where or what I am, or I wouldnt even be thinking of change. I should want the best for me. To bring out the greatness in me. To become that person I know I can be. How do I get through this? How to I stop thinking, and start doing? When is enough? When do I finally say, this is it! I am taking the risk to becoming a happier me. If that means leaving things behind, than so be it. If that means feeling uncomfortable for a little bit, than so be it. Because I have to trust that when I get to that change...it will be so worth it.

I hope Im to that point soon. Because I dont want to play ping pong anymore.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I know that feeling exactly. While I'm doing really well in my new healthy me lifestyle, sometimes I feel the resistence, the fear. I've been fat pretty much my whole life, it's what I'm used to. I'm fighting hard to overcome that. I can see change in myself already (on the inside) and I like how it feels. You'll get there too. Don't be discouraged by how long it takes. Took me a long time to make the changes I did.

Melissa said...

Thanks Ash. :) Its nice to know there are others out there that feel the same way, and are going or gone through these same feelings. Im trying to keep in mind, each journey starts with a single step. Before I know it, those steps will be miles :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa! I am so glad you found me. LOVE your blog's name. Fabulous.

I am currently doing to couch to 5k program and what an amazing thing you are doing. It is slow going for because of a disease but at the same time....so worth it.

Change can be so hard. Especially when you seem to be just standing still... I know I get totally impatient and want to move forward. You are so right...a journey begins with just one step.

Nice to meet you ;)